- Common name Red valerian
- Scientific name Centranthus ruber
- Where does this species come from? Mediterranean.
- What is its invasive status in South Africa? NEMBA Category 1b in Western Cape Not listed elsewhere
- Where in South Africa is it a problem? Cape Peninsula.
- How does it spread? Seed dispersal.
- Why is it a problem? Invades roadsides and urban spaces.
- What does it look like? Leaves: Leaves are 5-8mm in length and grow in opposite pairs. Flowers:Small individual flowers, highly variable: usually deep pink to magenta or crimson-red, but sometimes lavender or white. Fruit/seeds:
- Does the plant have any uses? Garden ornamental.